Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sabor Americano!

It has arrived! 

American Flavor week is here in Madrid (at participating Lidl grocery stores)! I've been gearing up for it since last week when I noticed the huge section in the circular about the upcoming cultural extravaganza that is American Flavor week.  

I haven't even been here that long and still I am enthused. The promise of peanut butter, brownies, ranch dressing, chicken nuggets and mac and cheese warmed my heart a bit. It's not that there are so many things I miss about American food. It's more about the opportunity to scope out the local reaction to "American" foods that has me excited. 

Take, for instance, this poor guy (aptly dressed in a Boston Red Sox jacket!) who is trying to choose between ranch and thousand island dressing. If only I spoke the language better, I might be able to offer some helpful (albeit unsolicited) advice (nobody in America actually knows what Thousand Island is...or where these thousand islands are located...somewhere between ranch and ketchup, but that's another story). From my ten minutes of research (staring at Spaniards shopping near the display), it looks like American Flavor week will be met with great success by the locals...even if it's not 100% authentic.

Part of the selection of "American" flavors
Apparently the U.S. is known for macaroni and cheese (okay, fair enough), ranch dressing, ketchup (Heinz exists in every store so I'm not quite sure what the big deal is) and hot dogs (also widely available - and widely loved - in Spain). 









Ohhhh, an American recipe. Heinz must be a Spanish recipe or something...
Also of note - the brand of products on sale. A short lesson in derivation: 1. Mc - judging by the popularity of McDonald's here in Spain, I'm guessing I know where the Mc comes from; 2. Ennedy or Cennedy or Mcennedy - how much more American does it get? Apparently the fact checkers forgot the K in Kennedy but at least they got the "famous American" part right. 


Also of note, Lady Liberty. What a proud moment for USA clip art everywhere. 

The spoils of my treasure hunt? Peanut butter and ranch dressing, for now. The peanut butter isn't so bad actually. It's really nutty (less oily than American pb) but altogether a worthy try. The ranch hasn't been opened yet so there's some potential for heartbreak in my future. As of now, ignorance is bliss.

Good effort on the Honey & Mustard. So close. 
At least they found the "special sauce." 


Chili dip I will claim. Not so sure curry dip is American.

No comments:

Post a Comment